I hope this finds you well and that you took some time this summer to rest and replenish for the newschool year!
LAP is continuing to make sure your voice is heard in regards to the proposed ESSA plan specifically in the following areas:
· Subgroup performance should be reported by percentile rankings in addition to academic performance; the plan should include a system of identifying low subgroup performance levels, including performance levels equivalent to D and F grades for that subgroup, as requiring “urgent intervention.” The LDOE has indicated that 999 out of the 1400 public and charter schools in the state will receive this label (this will be designated on the school report card) —however the plan does not stipulate any support from the State for schools that receive that label or any details about what urgent intervention means for schools that receive that label.
· The Interests and Opportunities indicator should include a menu of means by which schools could demonstrate success; the LDE should convene school system administrators to develop the measures necessary to create this
We must continue to ask BESE members and Superintendent White to revise the plan, even though it was submitted to the USDOE, there is still an opportunity to amend prior to it becoming policy in Louisiana.
NOW more than ever we need site based administrators to Join LAP! We have constantly changing rules and a diminishing workforce— and the most recent action by Superintendent White and a majority of the BESE board signify that it is more important than ever to have the Principal’s voice heard on key education issues. Please encourage your co-workers to become members of LAP--- the more members we have the more our voice is heard! We are the only organization that is affiliated with the national principal’s organizations (NAESP and NASSP) and we advocate for principals/site based administrators at the national level also!
The Louisiana Legislature ended on June 8 th with no major cuts to he MFP. Thank you for contacting legislators to help keep the MFP whole and for preventing other legislation from passing that would have given unfunded mandates to local districts in regards to dual enrollment classes.
We also want to remind you of upcomng events-- details can be found on the website!
1. Fall Annual Principals Conference--- September 10-12 ---L'Auberge Casino Event Center -- Baton Rouge--- Early Bird Price ends August 12th!
2. New Principals Conference ( 0-3 years of Experience)- October 23rd--- Ruston October 24th Baton Rouge-- Save the Date for this FREE PD Opportunity!
3. Assistant Principals Conference -- November 6 th ---Golden Nugget Casino-- Lake Charles
4. Breakfast in the Classroom-- apply for a grant for your school and feed ALL students in your school a free breakfast!
Hoping everyone has a great start to the school year and that we will see you at the conference in September!